The Volunteer Page
HOW THE ROTA WORKS
The volunteer rota will work one month in advance so that you have plenty of time to identify the slots which suit you. Please note the following:
- All those names in green are permanent slots that individuals have volunteered to do week on week
- Names in black are those who like to do a slot that fits in with their diary and is thus not necessarily the same slot each week
- The rota will be updated as individuals book a slot and can be checked by you at anytime online
- In order to update the rota with your details please click here
LAST MINUTE CHANGES
- Please do your best to find a replacement from the volunteer list
- Check the emergency call out list for alternatives
- If you are still unable to find a replacement and need help please inform Mark giving him as much warning as possible
- Of course, if you have a last minute emergency (child with tonsillitis etc) obviously call the shop direct if you have time.
THE VOLUNTEER ROUTINE
Timings. Please try to arrive about 10 minutes before your shift begins. This is the essential element for the smooth running of the rota for a number of reasons:
- It ensures you have a quick getaway at the end of your shift.
- It gives you time to put your belongings in the office upstairs.
- It allows Shona, or those on shift before you, to pass on to you anything that might be happening during your shift, such as deliveries.
Volunteer Activity. The shop only requires one person on the till unless things are unusually busy. There are all sorts of other things that you could do to help:
- Check stock to ensure that which is closest to the ‘sell by’ date is at the front.
- Remove and note stock which has passed the ‘sell by’ date.
- Stock is brought forward on the shelves as gaps appear.
- Make notes of customer comments on items we should consider stocking.
- Periodically sweep the floor; unfortunately the light that comes in shows the dust very clearly on our floor.
- Dust shelves – remember to look under and behind products
Recruiting. You are our best recruiters! When engaging in conversation please consider encouraging likely volunteers to join the team.
WHY NOT JOIN THE VOLUNTEER FORCE?
We are always looking for more volunteers to help share the load and would be delighted to tell you more if you are interested. Please drop into the shop and speak to one of the volunteers.