The Volunteer Page
COVID-19 – some changes to help all stay safe
In response to the ever changing situation regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, we want to make sure that all volunteers are doing what they need to do to keep safe and healthy.
As a precaution, and in accordance with government guidelines, we have a few steps in place to reduce the risk of spread:
1. Any volunteer please come straight in and wash your hands, and continue to do so throughout your shift.
2. Make sure all surfaces are wiped clean and disinfected regularly
3. We will only allow 2 customers to come in at a time and keep a distance of 2 m.
4. Use card payment as much as possible to avoid the handling of cash. We will accept cash.
5. Please wash your hands after handling cash even if wearing gloves.
6. We serve take away drinks and snacks only in take away cups and bags. Outside tables spaced out will be available but not until the current lockdown is lifted.
7. We offer customers an account which they can fund over the phone by card, and have their shopping, ordered online, they can collect or have delivered.
HOW THE ROTA WORKS
The volunteer rota will work one month in advance so that you have plenty of time to identify the slots which suit you. Please note the following:
- All those names in green are permanent slots that individuals have usually volunteered to do week on week
- Names in black are those who like to do a slot that fits in with their diary and is thus not necessarily the same slot each week
- The rota will be updated as individuals book a slot and can be checked by you at anytime online
- In order to update the rota with your details please click here
LAST MINUTE CHANGES
There will be occasions when those that do the same slot each week are away on holiday. In addition any volunteer may suddenly find themselves unable to fulfil their commitment for a variety of reasons. Should this happen:
- Please do your best to find a replacement from the volunteer list
- Of course, if you have a last minute emergency, call the shop direct if you have time.
THE VOLUNTEER ROUTINE
Timings. Please try to arrive on time so that the volunteer before you can leave.
Volunteer Activity. The shop only requires one person on the till unless things are unusually busy.
There are all sorts of other things that you could do to help:
- Check stock to ensure that which is closest to the ‘sell by’ date is at the front.
- Remove and note stock which has passed the ‘sell by’ date.
- Stock is brought forward on the shelves as gaps appear.
- Make notes in the diary of customer comments on items we should consider stocking.
- Periodically sweep the floor.
- Dust shelves – remember to look under and behind products. There is a plan of which shelves could usefully be cleaned in a rota for each day the week so that all get done.
- Recruiting. You are our best recruiters! When engaging in conversation please consider encouraging likely volunteers to join the team!
WHY NOT JOIN THE VOLUNTEER FORCE?
We are always looking for more volunteers to help share the load and would be delighted to tell you more if you are interested. Please drop into the shop and speak to one of the volunteers.